Friday, September 14, 2012

Sept. 14, Day 258 - 1 Timothy 2

Click here to go to 1 Timothy 2

This chapter is rich with information and instruction. It opens with a command to pray.

I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth.

In this very political season, more than ever we need to be praying for our leaders.

Living in Southern California and working on a college campus verses 9 and 10 especially jump out at me. It is so disturbing to see what young ladies wear around campus. Not understanding the effect they have on those around them, especially those of the opposite sex.

Of course, the last paragraph is very controversial as Paul speaks of the woman's role. The Open Bible cross references 1 Cor. 14:34 where Paul speaks to this issue. I know in the situation with 1 Cor. that Paul was referencing a specific group. I'm not sure about here in 1 Timothy. Paul did have women leaders that he respected. This is one of those passages I'm not sure I'll ever completely understand this side of heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that last paragraph can cause some contention, can't it? But it helped me to focus on a few particulars. For instance:

    We should clothe ourselves in good works - ignoring any questions of right or wrong when it comes to clothes and jewels, our FOCUS shouldn't be on those, especially in church. Now, I like to look nice. But this is a great reminder to me that I ought first to BE nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 Timothy 2
    4-6 He wants all people to be saved and to learn the truth. There is one God. There is also one mediator between God and humans—a human, Christ Jesus. He sacrificed himself for all people to free them from their sins. This message is valid for every era.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufPCohY7Lc

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fbd9-yjtC8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

    There is none like You,
    No one else can touch my heart like You do,
    I can search for all eternity Lord
    And find, there is none like You.

    There is none like You.
    No one else can touch my heart like You do,
    I can search for all eternity Lord
    And find, there is none like You.

    Your mercy flows like a river wide,
    And healing comes from Your hand.
    Suffering children are safe in Your arms,
    There is none like You.

    There is none like You,
    There is none like You, Lord
    There is none like You.

    I can search for all eternity Lord,
    There is none like You.
    I can search for all eternity Lord,
    There is none, there is none,
    There is none Lord,
    There is none like You.

    ReplyDelete