Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sept. 26, Day 270 - 2 Timothy 4

Click here to go to 2 Timothy 4

As Paul closes this letter I'm sure it was hard for Timothy to read as Paul was saying goodbye.  I don't know if Timothy was to get to Paul before he died or not, but I'm sure these words meant a great deal to him.

I also have seen a lot of our society in these past 2 chapters. In Southern California there seems to be many churches that seem to fall into this category:
For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. They will reject the truth and chase after myths.

But Paul opens the chapter encouraging Timothy with these words:
1) I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom: Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the first couple verses stood out for me, too. But, there are so many disagreements on what is false teaching in the church and what is not. I think telling the Good News from one's heart is so important these days lest we get into nit-picky arguments about things that aren't as important as the basic message of Christ's life, death and resurrection.

    It is hard not to get caught up in the disagreements "of the day".

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Timothy 4
    1-2 I solemnly call on you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who is going to judge those who are living and those who are dead. I do this because Christ Jesus will come to rule the world. Be ready to spread the word whether or not the time is right. Point out errors, warn people, and encourage them. Be very patient when you teach.

    18 The Lord will rescue me from all harm and will take me safely to his heavenly kingdom. Glory belongs to him forever! Amen.

    ReplyDelete