Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 15, Day 136 - Acts 15

Click here to go to Acts 15

The issue of circumcision comes to a head in this chapter with the "old guard" Jews demanding the fulfillment of the Law for the Gentiles. Chances are these people were not trying to be difficult or legalistic.  When you've been taught something for your entire life it's hard to break free of it. Paul, Barnabas, and the apostles and elders meet together for council of Jerusalem. This sets the example for all churches that follow. 

The hard part of this chapter is Paul and Barnabas disagreement over John Mark.  The passage states their disagreement was so sharp that they went their separate ways. It is believed that they did reconcile and the Mark that Paul references in 2 Timothy 4:11 is this same person.

What else jumped out for you?

2 comments:

  1. It's impossible to escape contention, isn't it? But I really love that when Peter spoke to the assembly of elders, they all saw the wisdom and agreed--a wonderful lesson to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acts 15
    9 God doesn’t discriminate between Jewish and non-Jewish people. He has cleansed non-Jewish people through faith as he has cleansed us Jews.

    Deuteronomy 4
    29 But if you look for the LORD your God when you are among those nations, you will find him whenever you search for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

    Jeremiah 29
    13-14 When you look for me, you will find me. When you wholeheartedly seek me, I will let you find me, declares the LORD. I will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I've scattered you, declares the LORD. I will bring you back from the place where you are being held captive.

    Whatever is withheld from God keeps us captive. May we wholeheartedly seek Him.

    Psalm 51
    10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
    11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
    12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCxVjru03NU
    Keith Green - Create in Me a Clean Heart

    ReplyDelete