Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 19, Day 171 - Romans 12

Click here to access Romans 12

This is such an amazing chapter, but I think this is the first time I've read it in the NLT.  I love how verse 2 reads:  Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. 

Also verse 9 really jumps out: Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good.  
  
The line "Don't just pretend to love others. Really love them." How often do we not go through the motions.  The next few verses tell us how to do that: general affection, taking delight in honoring them... practice hospitality. 

There are so many good things in this chapter, what jumps out to you?   

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I should totally read this in a few other translations--love that new way of hearing the verses we know so well!

    Verses 15 and 16 jump out at me today. "Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion."

    This can be so tough--I'm trying to grow my career, so obviously I have to make goals. But it's so important that I set my sights only on Him and let Him lead me wherever He wants me to go, not to put my mind on "high things" and trust in my own opinion on how it should go. And I love that that comes right after the other--that our focus should always, ALWAYS be on serving others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entire chapter is awesome!
    This jumped out today for me:
    "4 Just as our bodies have many parts and each part has a special function, 5 so it is with Christ’s body. We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other."

    I was commuting home the other day, flipping radio channels and came across a sermon about this verse. (I rarely listen to radio sermons, but this one really caught my attention.) The preacher was talking about how important it is that we don't just leave a church when things don't go our way, but try to stay and solve the issues. Also, he was talking about how we should work things out with other people that might want to leave our church. All of us are part of the body and when one of us leaves, it is like chopping off an arm or a finger. He said it a lot better than I am. But, it really made a lot of sense! And, it can be applied to families, friends and any other group of people. One leaving matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romans 12 Dedicate Your Lives to God
    12 Be happy in your confidence, be patient in trouble, and pray continually.

    vs. 7-10 devote yourself to; be devoted to

    with your whole heart be in the moment
    giftings ~*~ what we are drawn to

    8 If it is encouraging others, devote yourself to giving encouragement. If it is sharing, be generous. If it is leadership, lead enthusiastically. If it is helping people in need, help them cheerfully.

    giving, sharing generously, lead enthusiastically, helping cheerfully

    in all of these things giving as He has so richly given to us

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGCxfdp6a6M&feature=relmfu
    I Worship You Almighty God - Sondra Corbett Wood

    ReplyDelete