Tuesday, June 26, 2012

June 26, Day 178 - 1 Corinthians

Click here to go to 1 Corinthians

Maybe it's because the Sunday School class I attend we've been talking about how to do the inductive Bible study method or maybe it's just focusing on one chapter at a time, or what maybe it's just I'm actually paying attention to the Holy Spirit, but so much jumped out at me from this chapter that I don't ever remember seeing before.

Like, this book was written to believers and knowing what's coming in parts of this book I want to say "OUCH." 

Also, I remember reading/hearing the division between believers by who they followed or were baptized before, (10-17) but it didn't jump out at me about how even today we get into the "I'm a Baptist" or "I'm a Nazarene"  Or even "I believe in free will" versus "I believe in predestination" people who go there as a primary focus are doing the same thing as the Corinthians. They removed the focus from Christ and created division.  I'm not saying it's bad to identify oneself with a particular denomination. Having attended a seminary that is of the Wesleyan theology there's a bend to that way of thinking and interrupting scripture. Yet, I had classmates from many different branches of the Christianity, including at least one that identified with the Orthodox church.  One of professors stressed very heavily that we need to focus on the things we agree on and not dwell on the differences.

Sorry for my little rant.. It just hit me that it really is important to focus on what we agree on and not let division happen.  As Roseanna commented in yesterday's passage the warning regarding division is for every time period!

Be Blessed!

2 comments:

  1. This has long struck me as being an example of the first denominational-style division too. I sometimes wonder what Paul might do or say if he came into a modern town. I think he would rejoice that there are so many believers we can't fit in one normal-sized building. But if he were writing a letter to the church of Wherever, USA, I think he might say "Why do I see a half-empty Baptist church on side of the road, and a half-empty Methodist church right across from it?"

    At the start of the church, "your church" was just the closest body of believers. Now, with so many of us, you get to PICK your church. Which might in some ways create more harmony . . . but one has to wonder what fullness we're missing by dividing the body according to its parts, instead of embracing--or at least listening to and learning from--the different views and functions.

    Rambling. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I take part in every interfaith event I can because I believe it is SO important for all believers to come together in Christ. Kudos for the Pastor of the church I attend to be the one that usually plans the events that bring everyone together. She calls herself the "den mother" of all the Pastors in town (the rest are all male). :-)

    ReplyDelete