Saturday, February 11, 2012

Day 42 - Matthew 11

Click here to go to Matthew 11

Matthew 11 is another challenging passage for me. Jesus speaks of John the Baptist and his importance to bring forth the kingdom of heaven. He also points out the fact that so many of the towns He visited and did miracles in failed to really believe who he was.  Once again I'm reminded to examine myself and ask am I'm failing to see what God is doing and failing to truly believe?

The chapter ends with one of the most encouraging passages when I'm struggling and am over  whelmed. Here is the way it reads in "The Voice New Testament"
Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Put My yoke upon your shoulders - it might appear heavy at first, but it is perfectly fitted to your curves. Learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. When you are yoked to Me,  your weary souls will find rest. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light. (28-30)

The Voice New Testament was published by Thomas Nelson utilizing both professional scholars, pastors, writers, musicians, poets and other artist. The goal is to create the finest Bible products to help believers experienced the joy and wonder of God's revelation.  The italic type indicates words not directly tied to the dynamic translation of the original language. These words bring out the nuance of the original, assist in completing ideas, and often provide readers with information that would have been obvious to the original audience. These additions are meant to help the modern reader better understand the text without having to stop and read footnotes or a study guide. (From the Preface of The Voice)

I wouldn't necessarily use this translation for deep Bible study, but I do enjoy it for devotional reading. And now that I have a new copy of it, I'll read the chapters from there as well.

I've been thoroughly enjoying the comments and I've been learning lots from you all!

2 comments:

  1. Holly, I had never heard of "The Voice New Testament". I'll have to check it out. Those verses are beautiful.

    A verse that stood out for me was this one:
    20 Then Jesus began to denounce the towns where he had done so many of his miracles, because they hadn’t repented of their sins and turned to God.

    How many miracles do I have to see first hand to believe and turn to God? Miracles happen in my life every single day and yet I often either ignore them or consider them coincidences. Life is one constant miracle and yet, I get caught up in the negative and forget to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew 11
    In the depths of his bondage, John the Baptist hears what Jesus is doing. Word carries to where he is. Seeing what only He could do, there were those who continued on alone in their every day lives, not being changed and turning to God.
    28,29 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
    Jesus shows a better way. He will walk with us.

    ReplyDelete