Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 61 - Mark 2

Click here to go to Mark 2:1

I'm already seeing how hard it's going to be to only talk about a couple of things from a chapter in Mark. Chapter 2 is so full, first a fascinating  of 4 men's faith that they would tear a hole in someone's roof just to get their paralyzed buddy in front of Jesus. Jesus dealing with the religious leaders. The calling of Levi and the discussion of the Sabbath.  A verse in this chapter that means so much to me is verse 27 Then Jesus said to them, “The Sabbath was made to meet the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath.  One thing (of many) I appreciate about my Pastor is his commitment to a "Sabbath" not necessarily a Saturday, but some day in his week where he "rests." And he encourages his leaders within the church to do the same.  For almost 8 years I was working full-time, going to school working toward a Master's Degree, responsible for the music portion of our church services, plus being a wife and mom.  Having a day of rest was so important and so critical to my sanity.  Even though I've finished my degree and am currently on a Sabbatical from planning worship, the day of rest is still important.  


On a side note, if you don't already, I would encourage you to pray for the others that are participating in this blog. You may have noticed Lane hasn't commented in a few days. Her and husband are visiting a very ill relative, and Sharon shared in her comment yesterday that her Dad fell.  He is suffering from Alzheimer's and just recently fell and broke his hip.  Sharon and Lane can definitely use our prayers. 


Blessings to all of you for being a part of this. You are a blessing!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the prayers for my dad!

    I have a good Sabbath story. I've worked for 25 years doing marketing for a group of independent tire franchisees. Most of them have chosen to be open Monday-Saturday. Over the years, and especially recently, the parent company has put lots of pressure on these dealers to open their stores on Sundays because of all the extra business they can do. The dealers have stood their ground, keeping their stores closed on Sunday, many because it is the Sabbath.

    My struggle is avoiding stores on Sunday. I work so many hours during the week, sometimes I find it almost impossible to avoid shopping on Sunday. But, I know my shopping on Sunday encourages businesses to open. I feel badly for the employees that want to be in church but are required to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark 2
    10 "I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins."

    I love how tax-collectors (law) and sinners were comfortable with Him and were His "followers"! [We are to follow His example. Are they comfortable with us??]

    27,28 Then he added, “The day of worship was made for people, not people for the day of worship. For this reason the Son of Man has authority over the day of worship.”

    Worship is key.

    Thank you for your prayers during this time as my husband's brother is dying. He has been moved from the hospital to hospice. The doctors have projected medically two weeks to live as his organs are shutting down.

    ReplyDelete