Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 24, John 24 - John 18

Click here to go to today's reading

First thing I find interesting about this passage, is the statement that Judas procured a band of soldiers and officers from the chief priests (v3). I've missed that in past readings.

It also jumped out at me that Annas was not the high priest during that time, but his son-in-law Caiaphas was, yet Annas interviewed Jesus first. My ESV study Bible explained the reason as:
Under the Roman procurators three wealthy priestly families largely controlled the extremely important position of high priest. Annas was the patriarch of one of these powerful families of high priests. He served as high priest during A.D. 6-15, and the high priesthood was subsequently held by five of his sons, including his son-in-law Caiaphas. Annas's past stature merited his continued designation as "high priest" and even after his deposition he retained significant control over his family's exercise of this position.

Isn't it great that we now have Jesus as our High Priest and we don't have to worry about the corruption of a man as High Priest as we see in Annas and Caiaphas (and many others during history).

The other thing is the fact that one of the disciples (presumably John) was well known enough to Annas that he was allowed to enter the court with Jesus. (v15)

I appreciate Peter. In verse 10 he is cutting off the ear of a soldier and by verse 17 he denies that he's one of Jesus' disciples. How many times can I be bold in my faith at one moment and cower in the corner the next. But like Peter, God forgives me and restores me!

Sorry so lengthy today. (and that I'm late posting!)

1 comment:

  1. Holly, Thank you for gathering us together for this study. Appreciative. Even tho' I go to a study on Thursdays that is interactive, this one is reflective. Kathleen

    John 18
    4-9 Jesus stepped forward. It was clear He was not surprised because He knew all things.
    Jesus: Whom are you looking for?
    Judas’s Entourage: Jesus the Nazarene.
    Jesus: I am the One.
    Judas, the betrayer, stood with the military force. As Jesus spoke “I am the One,” the forces fell back on the ground. Jesus asked them a second time:
    Jesus: Whom are you searching for?
    Judas’s Entourage: Jesus the Nazarene.
    Jesus: I have already said that I am the One. If you are looking for Me, then let these men go free.
    This happened to fulfill the promise He made that none of those entrusted to Him will be lost.

    33b-36 Pilate: Are You the King of the Jews?
    Jesus: Are you asking Me because you believe this is true, or have others said this about Me?
    Pilate: I’m not a Jew, am I? Your people, including the chief priests, have arrested You and placed You in my custody. What have You done?
    Jesus: My kingdom is not recognized in this world. If this were My kingdom, My servants would be fighting for My freedom. But My kingdom is not in this physical realm.

    I love this: "But My kingdom is not in this physical realm."

    To His Name be praised.

    Psalm 72:19
    Praise be to his glorious name forever; may the whole earth be filled with his glory. Amen and Amen.

    ReplyDelete