This year the devotional book I'm using is The One Year Book of Psalms. I loved the devotional thought for Psalm 13 here are some of the highlights. I hope they encourage you as much as they did me:
Dwelling in the Dust - Sermon by F.B. Meyer
He says there are 5 kinds of people who dwell in the dust:
- Those who feel forsaken by God
- Those who feel their prayers are going nowhere
- Those who are discouraged with life's possibilities
- Those who are going through difficult financial or physical stress
- Those who are stuck in a job or family situation they can't get out of
Meyer points out that in the first two verses David is complaining about his situation. In the next two he is praying and finally in the final two verses he is trusting and rejoicing.
It is a reminder that it's okay to complain about our situations to God, but we need to move on to praying about them and rejoicing in God's goodness.