Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 11 - John 7

Here's today's link from YouVersion

How many different ideas have you heard about who Jesus is? I never realized that this passage there were so many different opinions on who Jesus' was at that time.  Human nature hasn't changed much?

I love the temple guards in verse 45-47:
45 When the Temple guards returned without having arrested Jesus, the leading priests and Pharisees demanded, “Why didn’t you bring him in?”
46 “We have never heard anyone speak like this!” the guards responded.47 “Have you been led astray, too?” the Pharisees mocked.48 “Is there a single one of us rulers or Pharisees who believes in him?

We've never heard anyone speak like this! The guards took time to listen to Jesus and realized He had something to say. Being Temple Guards they probably heard many speak, but realized that Jesus was the first one that spoke with true authority. 

Isn't that how it is for us? What do we hear when we really listen?

4 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful example of how we struggle with giving up our preconceived ideas! Love the back and forth here--maybe he's this, no he can't be because that has to happen THIS way. Then maybe he's that, but no, because surely . . .

    Definitely an unchanged part of human nature.

    But I think you hit upon the most important part, Holly--no one speaks like Jesus. No one else challenges us to look within like He does, and to look above. To look beyond what man tells us we should see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other thing that strikes me about this passage is that people are listening to Jesus and they are so intrigued by him, they are defying the leaders.

    Jesus speaks to each one of us, not just the church leaders. I definitely believe Jesus also speaks to ministers and church leaders and we can often learn a lot from those leaders. Jesus can and does also speak through them. But, there are other times, what Jesus is saying to me doesn't resonate with what I am hearing from a minister. This passage tells me that it is OK to pray about that and listen to Jesus over church authorities and leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do we hear when we really listen?

    I Cor. 2:9b “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” 10a But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit

    I am thankful the Lord reveals Truth for our daily walk to us in His Word and by the Holy Spirit. Just what we need as we need it!

    Proverbs 4:10 My child, listen to Me and do as I say, and you will have a long, good life. 11 I will teach you wisdom’s ways and lead you in straight paths. 12 When you walk, you won’t be held back; when you run, you won’t stumble. 13 Take hold of My instructions; don’t let them go. Guard them, for they are the key to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure but the temple guards could have faced dire consequences for having disobeyed the church leaders. It had to be amazing to hear Jesus speak. I look forward to the day I get to hear him in person!

    ReplyDelete