Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 14 - John 10

You can access today's reading here

John 10 is another one of those chapters where we see Jesus confront the religious leaders and escape from being stoned once again. It will be interesting to learn how he escaped.

One thing I don't remember seeing before is in verse 7 so he explained it to them: “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. I remember that Jesus had said he was the great shepherd, but that he was the gate. What a great picture! I mean I know because of His death and resurrection I have access to God. But to see Him as a gate just made it clearer to me.


I have also loved verse 10 The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.

Again there is so much in this chapter what things spoke to you?

Have a blessed day! 

3 comments:

  1. John 10:3 The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep respond to his voice. He calls his sheep by name and leads them out of the pen. 4 After he has brought out all his sheep, he walks ahead of them. The sheep follow him because they recognize his voice.
    Isaiah 30:21 Your own ears will hear him.
    Right behind you a voice will say,
    “This is the way you should go,”
    whether to the right or to the left.

    Oh, I love the Lord's direction! He is right on time. He calls me by name, He walks ahead of me. As I hear His voice and respond, I will be on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, I too had forgotten that Jesus said he was the gate. This image is comforting. We need only go to the gate and ask to enter and we will be accepted.

    These verses have always caused much controversy:
    34 Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’[d]? 35 If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside— 36 what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?

    I am acquainted with a good number of neighbors and co-workers that attend the LDS church and, as I understand what they have told me, they believe that men can actually be gods (with a small "g"). They often use these verses and Psalms 82:6 as proof. Here is what one LDS blogger explains: "God will always eternally remain our God and Eternal Father. But 'as gods', means that we will not only live with God but will be empowered to participate in the work of creation with God."

    I've heard other people say that the Hebrew word used in these passages actually mean something similar to "angels" and others say it means "judges" appointed by God.

    I'm fascinated by all the interpretations. I guess I'm off on a tangent. :-) Anyway, have a blessed day everyone!

    ReplyDelete