Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 16 - Psalm 5

Here's a link for today's reading (once you arrive at the page click the button "View in Bible Reader" to see entire passage

I picked this Psalm because one of my favorite worship chorus in my high school years was based on this Psalm.  But as I looked at this Psalm there is so much there.

This prayer is such  great way to start one's day, though parts of it seem to be in conflict with what Jesus taught. For example verse
9 My enemies cannot speak a truthful word. Their deepest desire is to destroy others. Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave. Their tongues are filled with flattery.t10 O God, declare them guilty.
Let them be caught in their own traps. Drive them away because of their many sins,for they have rebelled against you.

Yet Jesus taught in Matthew 5 43“You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. 44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.

How do you think we should use use Psalm 5?

Enjoy the video:

5 comments:

  1. We are not to be responders in the same way as reactors, but to be as Jesus taught us to form our actions from a heart of love, not deceit or “getting back” but to be an open vessel for Him to work through. You receive more from honey than from vinegar, a listening heart than a condemning spirit. Out of the heart the mouth speaks. Where are we with Him? Not raw and without compassion, but speaking the Truth in love that others receive rather than be repulsed. Lord, give me a right heart that I might not sin against Thee.
     8 Lead me in the right path, O LORD,
          or my enemies will conquer me.
       Make Your way plain for me to follow.
    10 Drive them away because of their many sins, for they have rebelled against You.
    11 But let all those who take refuge and put their trust in You rejoice; let them ever sing and shout for joy, because You make a covering over them and defend them; let those also who love Your name be joyful in You and be in high spirits.
    12 For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O LORD,
    You surround him with favor as with a shield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is up to God to decide what to do with my enemies. It isn't anything I can control anyway. And, if I have hate in my heart and obsess about them, it will eat me from the inside out and I will not be able to show any love to anyone.

    There are very few people that I've met that I couldn't at least be cordial to. Kindness usually DOES stave off hate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Psalm, consider whose David's enemies are--people out to kill him. People trying to lead the people into idol worship. People seeking to destroy. I think it's actually a responsible thing to pray that the Lord will remove them, in order to protect the people. But note that David's turning that to the Lord, putting justice in His hands and not trying to take it on himself.

    That said, we know David also showed love and mercy to some of his greatest enemies--Saul...and his own sons. I daresay he had prayed and prayed that they would change. But since they seek only destruction, what is left but to pray they be removed so they can't harm God's people? Even in the church, we're supposed to put from us those who would lead others astray, right? It doesn't mean we hate them. It just means we leave them to the Lord to deal with.

    My randomly pulled together thoughts . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Roseanna. It makes sense to put it in the context of the times.

      Delete
  4. I am extremely grateful that God is the judge and not me. Several years ago I felt much like David did that I had enemies (within the church) who were out to destroy me. Through the Psalms and a year of praying, "Lord help those involved recognize the truth" God brought me through the difficult situation. I know fully that Jesus wants us to love our enemies and to pray for those who persecute us, but there is something about reading David's words that remind me that sometimes I'll fail, thankfully God doesn't and He forgives.
    Thanks to all of you again for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete