Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 26 - John 18

Click here for today's reading
(Click the "View in Bible Reader" to see the entire chapter)

The trial and Peter's denial.

Many are quick to criticize Peter for deny Jesus, after all, he spent 3 1/2 years with Jesus. He said he was willing to die with Him. Yet when the time came, he folded like a house of cards. Yet was Peter any different than we are? Sure he spent 3 1/2 years with Jesus and was part of the inner circle. But we have the Holy Spirit and the Bible to get to know Jesus. How many of us have denied knowing Jesus. Maybe we haven't said it but can our silence be just as bad?  I'm a peacemaker I don't want to make waves so too often I probably stay silent when I shouldn't.  Thankfully God is a God of second (and third) chances.



2 comments:

  1. Passing opportunities to speak ~*~ jumping in to a conversation that is not directed at me but alongside of me ~*~ I feel invisible. Must I always be asked, "What do you think?" I think of a conversation my daughter and her co-Daisy Scout leader were having, while we three were walking abreast down the sidewalk one evening. They were talking about badges, and the other young woman says the word "religious." I don't consider myself "religious" and my daughter knows I am a Christian. I don't say anything and feel like a push-up pop, one of those orange sherbet cylinders I liked as a child. "Okay, Lord, I'm ready to pop in if I am called to." I miss opportunities by not being bold, mousy even, at the moment. I think of all the profound but simple things I could ask to explore her thought, but it passes; am I relieved? I pray the Lord has me ready in season and out of season, but like the push-up pop, I am in a holding pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I struggle with is how to say something relevant about Jesus that isn't going to turn someone off. People are so leery of people proselytizing these days. They have their guards up. Sometimes, I don't even like to use the word "Christian" because it brings up so many negative images for people. I admit, this may be an excuse. Maybe, I am Peter.

    It isn't so much that I am scared or embarrassed as much as I just feel like if I say the wrong words, I'm going to lose my chance to get my real point across and really be an effective witness.

    ReplyDelete