Sunday, January 22, 2012

Day 22 - John 16

Click here for today's reading
Click the "View in Bible Reader" to see the entire chapter

This had been such an intense conversation Jesus had with the disciples.  He's telling them He's leaving them which evidently brought them great sorrow, but He tries to comfort them by telling them He has to leave so the Holy Spirit can come. They had to be so confused.  But the promise of the Holy Spirit our connection, our teacher, our guide.

It is also in this chapter where Jesus now tells the disciples they are now to ask the Father for things in His name. Working in Higher Education you get people who like to "drop names" but here Jesus tells His disciples and in turn us, USE MY NAME.  Wow! Of course, it's not like rub the lamp get a wish from the genie.

What do you see from this passage?

4 comments:

  1. John 16
    4 But these things I have spoken to you, so that when their hour comes, you may remember that I told you of them.

    The same goes for us as Christ-followers. We are not to be surprised when what is told in His Word, The Holy Bible, comes to pass.

    11 Judgment will come because the ruler of this world has already been judged.

    An assurance satan has been defeated. Greater is He that is in us, than he that is in the world.

    13 But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

    The Holy Spirit guides us, revealing Truth to us in advance, right on time! We hold to His Word. He is our Comforter, our Peace.

    14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you.

    I know that I know this is true! He reveals the Father's heart. No other Name but the Name of Jesus.

    23b I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and He will grant your request because you use My Name.

    And we are to pray in Jesus' Name. We are His, hidden in Him. Glory to His Name!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that "I know that I know this is true!" that's the only way we can get through some days, reminding ourselves "God's Word is TRUE!"

      Delete
    2. Guess what our home group study was tonight... John 15 & 16

      Delete
  2. I love the promise of receiving the Holy Spirit. How amazing is it that we are all promised His help, because we love and believe in Jesus? In the Old Testament, the Spirit was there, but He came upon people when HE chose. Now we are promised His continual presence.

    And I was just explaining "in the name of Jesus" to my kids (ages 4 and 6) the other night, when my littler one asked me why I always ask for everything in Jesus's name. =)

    ReplyDelete