Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 3 - Proverbs 1

I realize that Project 345 is designed for readings during the week and weekends are for make up. But I'm already seeing they give us 2 days off in the first week!  So, for the weekends I'll provide bonus readings from Psalms and Proverbs. They're optional, use the time to catch up on the New Testament readings if you missed any. But remember the goal is to read a portion of the Bible EVERY day.


Here's a link to Proverbs 1 in the New Living Translation: http://bible.us/Prov1.1.NLT
The reason I picked this chapter as well as this whole project can be found in the first 4 verses:
1 These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel.2 Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline, to help them understand the insights of the wise.
3 Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives,to help them do what is right, just, and fair. 
4 These proverbs will give insight to the simple, knowledge and discernment to the young

The writer is specifically talking about the Proverbs, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say the entire Bible is here to teach us wisdom, discipline, and insights.  

Words to live by... 

4 comments:

  1. Amen to that! And when we read it, seeking Him, then as verse 23 says, the spirit of wisdom will be poured out upon us. I love the promise of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I hadn't read this in years. Check this out. Listen to Wisdom. She calls out...
    "20 Wisdom shouts in the streets.
    She cries out in the public square.21 She calls to the crowds along the main street,
    to those gathered in front of the city gate:22 “How long, you simpletons,
    will you insist on being simpleminded?
    How long will you mockers relish your mocking?
    How long will you fools hate knowledge?23 Come and listen to my counsel.
    I’ll share my heart with you
    and make you wise.24 “I called you so often, but you wouldn’t come.
    I reached out to you, but you paid no attention."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Verse 24 kind of smacks me in the face, "I called you so often, but you wouldn't come. I reached out to you, but you paid no attention." Yep! That's me way too often!

    Thank you Roseanna and Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 a wise person will listen and continue to learn, and an understanding person will gain direction--
    My prayer, that I will be understanding and look for His direction! Daily.
    23 "Turn to Me when I warn you. I will generously pour out My Spirit for you. I will make My Words known to you.
    So much Promise!
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete