Friday, July 13, 2012

July 13, Day 195 - 1 Corinthians 14

Click here to go to 1 Corinthians 14

One of my other hobbies is reading and I have a blog that I do author interviews and book reviews. One of the questions I always ask the authors is what person from the Bible (besides Jesus) would they like to meet and what question would they ask he or she.  I'm looking forward to talking to Paul.  And asking him more about this letter to Corinthians, so much I would love to understand better.

This chapteralong with chapter 12 bring a lot of division in the church in regards of spiritual gifts, especially the gift of tongues.  I've been on both sides of the issues.  However, one charismatic pastor that I admire tremendously brought this perspective to the topic.  Too often we forget what chapter is in between these two chapters regarding the gifts of the Spirits, yep... the LOVE chapter.  When we keep the love in its proper place the other things will follow into place.

I do appreciate and agree with completely, everything needs to be done in order. 

Be blessed!

3 comments:

  1. I find it so sad that so many contentions arise from what the Spirit gives us as GIFTS. But that's an excellent point, Holly, that if we have love first and foremost, the other strife should disappear.

    What hit me today as I read this was how amazing it is that the Lord blesses us with these things at all! Forget arguing which is better--it's humbling and miraculous that He allows us to prophesy, that He lets our mouths speak languages our minds do not know. That just awes me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the lesson I get from this chapter is that there is a time and place for speaking in tongues and a time and place for prophesy and that we need to be aware of how each benefits and includes those around us. The point being that if the spirit is moving one person or a small group to speak in tongues, that is fine, but if there are people there that don't speak in tongues, it is better to use language that everyone understands so they aren't left out.

    As for women not speaking in church - well, that is just one of those verses that I believe does not apply to most of us anymore. If I did what that verse said, I'd be sitting on my butt at home watching Nascar every Sunday with my husband instead of attending church. That's not what I feel led to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 Corinthians 14
    1a Pursue love

    25 The secrets in their hearts will become known, and in this way they will quickly bow with their faces touching the ground, worship God, and confess that God is truly among you.

    This verse reminds me of Lamentations 2:14, my paraphrase,
    It is necessary for your iniquity to be exposed so as to release you from captivity.

    I am so thankful He has enabled us to worship Him in spirit and in truth. Giving us a spiritual language beyond our human mind is so incredible and the Holy Spirit to bring things to our remembrance. Scripture that speaks to our situation. Instruction. And verse 3b; to draw us for growth, encouragement, and to comfort. He created us and knows exactly what we need. He also knows who is going to be gathered together! That is so awesome. The night I received Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior, the Pastor spoke out of Revelation 3:15-16. I said later that was just for me! I was on the edge of my seat. He said it was written for believers. I said, "But I thought I was." In the morning song service, we sang "Victory in Jesus" the very song I sang when I was 12 years old and visited our neighboring farm children's church. He told me they hadn't sung that song in a long time. But Christ knew! It was an appointed time. I am so thankful for Him. He called me to be His own.

    ReplyDelete