Thursday, July 5, 2012

July 5, Day 187 - 1 Corinthians 8

Click here to read 1 Corinthians 8

This is an interesting chapter in that we don't think much about food being offered to idols. So how do we apply it to our lives today?

In the denomination I attend, they maintain a strong stance against drinking alcohol. We tend to use this passage in reference to drinking. I like verses 8 and 9 and especially 9.  We need to make sure our actions (whether eating, drinking or ??) don't cause others to stumble. 

It’s true that we can’t win God’s approval by what we eat. We don’t lose anything if we don’t eat it, and we don’t gain anything if we do. But you must be careful so that your freedom does not cause others with a weaker conscience to stumble.

Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. 1 Corinthians 8
    8-9 Food will not affect our relationship with God. We are no worse off if we eat that food and no better off if we don’t. But be careful that by using your freedom you don’t somehow make a believer who is weak in faith fall into sin.

    For a wedding gift we received a bottle of apple wine. Not drinking, I decided to serve it with a spaghetti dinner with our new guest. My husband said not to and we poured it out. Unknown to us then, we later learned our guest had moved and resumed drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this chapter is about putting loving our neighbor above indulging, even if we feel we are depriving ourselves.

    Sorry I've been gone lately. I've been on vacation with my husband and we have had very little internet access. I'll be back to "normal" on Monday. :-)

    ReplyDelete