Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16, Day 198 - 1 Corinthians 15

Click here to go to 1 Corinthians 15

In high school I wrote songs, not sure why I don't anymore, but one of my favorites songs was based on 1 Corinthians 15 verses 51 - 58:

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. (KJV)


I love the reminder that our labor is not in vain. I need that frequently. 


Be blessed!

3 comments:

  1. This verse caught my eye that I don't ever remember reading:
    "29 If the dead will not be raised, what point is there in people being baptized for those who are dead? Why do it unless the dead will someday rise again?"

    I was struck by this because I know a good many Mormons and they have a practice where they actually do a ceremony to baptize the dead. I always considered this strange, but didn't realize they were doing it because of an interpretation they have from this verse.

    I read more about it and apparently there are quite a few interpretations. One of the most popular seems to be that Paul was referring to the pagans that had a custom of diving into the sea to obtain eternal life. Many believe Paul was referring to this custom rather than telling people they should baptize the dead. The more I read, the more confused I am about the true message Paul was trying to convey. Both interpretations seem like a stretch to me.

    ----------------------------------------

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly,
    That is cool that you write songs. I like to write songs, too, especially using Bible verses. Maybe, you'll be inspired to do it again someday. I took a big break (30 years) and started back up again recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 Corinthians 15
    48-49 The people on earth are like the man who was made from the dust of the earth. The people in heaven are like the man who came from heaven. As we have worn the likeness of the man who was made from the dust of the earth, we will also wear the likeness of the man who came from heaven.

    What an awesome chapter! No confusion here.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDfwOL3IQ5I
    Dottie Rambo ~ We Shall Behold Him

    Revelation 22
    20 He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

    ReplyDelete